Wildfires sweep southern Europe, killing at least 3, forcing mass evacuations | World News


Wildfires raged across southern Europe on Wednesday, killing at least three people in Spain, Turkey and Albania, and forcing thousands to flee their homes, according to reports from the Associated Press (AP) and Reuters.

In Greece, crews fought to contain blazes threatening the outskirts of Patras, the country’s third-largest city. Flames tore through pine forests and olive groves, setting dozens of vehicles alight at a nearby impound lot.

“Today is another very difficult day with the level of fire risk remaining very high across many parts of the country,” Fire Service spokesman Vassilis Vathrakoyiannis told AP. At least 15 firefighters required treatment for burns, smoke inhalation, or exhaustion.

Story continues below this ad

Authorities ordered evacuations in a nearby town of about 7,700 people and later expanded alerts to two surrounding villages, as per Reuters. Fires also forced evacuations on the tourist islands of Chios and Cephalonia.

Deaths in Spain, Turkey and Albania

In Spain’s Castile and León region, a volunteer firefighter died from severe burns while creating firebreaks near the town of Nogarejas. Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez called the wildfire situation “serious” and urged extra caution in an online post.

A forestry worker in Turkey’s south was killed in an accident involving a fire truck, the Forestry Ministry said, while Albania reported the death of an 80-year-old man south of its capital Tirana.

Spain Europe Wildfires Firefighters work as a fire progresses in the Fuente de Faro de Brantuas area in Ponteceso, northwest Spain (Photo: Europa Press via AP)

Spain is in the midst of a 10-day heatwave, with temperatures reaching 45°C (113°F), AP noted. Thousands have been displaced, and some rail services were suspended after fires reached near the tracks.

Story continues below this ad

Fires across the Mediterranean

In Albania, Defence Minister Pirro Vengu described it as a “critical week” with 24 active wildfires. Some villagers fled with livestock in tow as flames approached. “We can’t do anything, it is like gunpowder,” said one evacuee in the village of Narte.

Portugal’s civil protection service reported that lightning reignited a blaze in Trancoso that had been burning since Saturday.

In Montenegro, major wildfires continued in rugged terrain near the capital, Podgorica, prompting the EU to send firefighting teams and aircraft to several affected countries.

Causes and arson investigations

Authorities have linked some fires to arson, while others were sparked by summer thunderstorms or careless agricultural practices. Spanish Environment Minister Sara Aagesen told SER radio that many fires showed signs of deliberate ignition.

Story continues below this ad

Police have arrested a firefighter in connection with blazes in Avila and are investigating other suspects in Galicia and Cadiz, Reuters reported.

So far in 2025, fires have scorched nearly 4,40,000 hectares across the eurozone, double the average for this time of year since 2006, according to the EU’s Joint Research Centre.

Experts warn that underprepared landscapes make firefighting more dangerous. “We expect firefighters to work in conditions we wouldn’t accept in a building without safety systems,” Alexander Held of the European Forest Institute told Reuters.

(With inputs from AP, Reuters)





Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *