Srinagar, Apr 5: In the wake of rising controversy over Jammu and Kashmir’s reservation policy, cabinet minister Sakeena Itoo Saturday reiterated the government’s commitment to the Cabinet Sub-committee formed to review the matter.
Addressing a hurriedly convened news conference in Anantnag, Itoo said that the panel was diligently working on its report and would submit it within the stipulated six-month timeframe.
“The Chief Minister is very serious about the issue. We are holding consultations and examining every representation thoroughly. I update him daily about the committee’s meetings with the stakeholders,” Itoo said.
The three-member Cabinet Sub-committee, headed by Itoo, was constituted to re-examine the reservation policy amid public backlash and legal challenges.
The policy came under fire following Jammu and Kashmir administration’s decision early last year to grant 10 percent reservation to the Pahari community, raising total reservations across various categories to 60 percent.
This left only 40 percent of seats available for the Open Merit category, triggering unrest among the aspirants.
“I am meeting another delegation at SKICC in Srinagar on Sunday. The process is transparent, inclusive, and aligned with the principles of justice and equality,” Itoo said.
She assured that the committee’s final recommendations would not only be submitted on time but also implemented accordingly.
However, controversy erupted after the government filed an affidavit in the High Court seeking the dismissal of a petition challenging the current reservation policy.
Opposition parties accused the government of misleading the public by not mentioning the cabinet sub-committee in the affidavit.
Reacting sharply, Itoo clarified that the affidavit filed was not the final word on the matter and did not reflect the government’s stance.
“The CM will issue the formal order soon. If required, we will file a fresh affidavit in the court as we believe that the current reservation policy is irrational and needs to be reviewed. The opposition should at least show some patience and wait for the committee’s report. If they can’t do that, perhaps they need to consult a psychiatrist,” she said.
Itoo also accused the opposition of spreading misinformation through social media, especially on X.
“They think they can run the world on Twitter (X). They are not concerned about the future of educated youth but are indulging in cheap publicity and dirty politics,” she said, without naming any leader.
Itoo alleged that some opposition members, who were now vocal critics, did not even raise the reservation issue in the assembly.
“Had they been serious, they would not have remained absent from the assembly the day the question on reservation came up. They could have questioned the government there instead of resorting to social media theatrics,” Itoo said.
Earlier, People’s Conference (PC) President and MLA Handwara, Sajad Lone, criticised the government for seeking dismissal of a petition related to reservations.
In a post on X, he called the move a “legal mystery,” questioning why the affidavit did not mention the sub-committee formed to review the policy.
PDP leader MLA Pulwama, Waheed-ur-Rehman Para also condemned the government, calling the cabinet sub-committee a “façade” and accusing the administration of protecting a flawed reservation system. “This is a blatant attempt to sabotage the future of meritorious students in J&K,” he said.
At least three petitions have been filed in the High Court challenging the current reservation structure in jobs and educational institutions.