Indians cutting across religious lines stood united despite the “hurt” the Pahalgam terror attack, which killed 25 tourists and a local pony-wallah, had caused, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has said.
“Jo ghatna hui, isme saara desh aahat mein hai (the entire country is hurt by what happened). But we stood united, irrespective of the religion we belong to,” Singh told The Indian Express.
His remarks come at a time when the opposition parties and religious and social organisations across the country have declared their support for the Union Government in its hunt for the terrorists. Leader of Opposition Rahul Gandhi has said that a united opposition would support any action taken by the government.
Sources said the government is satisfied with the outcome of the all-party meeting chaired by Singh, as every party leader who attended assured their support to the government in whatever steps it takes. Sources said that many in the government were surprised by the “kind of reaction” the attack had triggered.
“The terrorists and those who were behind it expected there would be a divide in our society; there would be communal tension in the country. However, the attack has united Indians,” said a highly placed source in the government.
A day after the tourists were killed, Singh had vowed that India would deliver a strong response and the government “will take every step that is necessary and appropriate”. He said the Centre “will not only trace those who perpetrated this incident, we will also reach those who, hiding behind the scenes, have conspired to carry out such a ‘napak’ (impure) act on the soil of India”.
Besides the Prime Minister-chaired Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) meeting last week on Wednesday, Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has been holding multiple meetings to discuss the security situation and the steps ahead.